Software architect with the proven experience to produce high-value results and lead teams of professionals from concept to commercially viable software products. Accomplished full stack developer and business leader that adds value at all layers of an organization.
Developer Lead: FIXMemphis, TN
2019 - 2020
- Rewrote front-end application in React (redux + observables).
Senior Software Engineer: DroneDeploySan Francisco, CA
2016 - 2019
- Full-stack experience maintaining and architecting novel drone flight capabilities that involved Docker-powered GraphQL APIs consumed by web / mobile devices (Cordova) and interfaced with iOS / Android drone SDKs.
- Improved drone flight reliability and image capture.
Senior Software Engineer: QuestisCharleston, SC
2014 - 2016
- Architected and launched financial wellness application from the ground up.
- Leveraged AWS lambda to aggregate and synchronize user's financial transactions in real-time.
- Mentored, trained, on-boarded new talent.
Entrepreneur / Bioinformatician
2013 - present
- Authored AuditRocket: web application that makes auditing financial statements 10 times faster (https://auditrocket.com/app).
- Led team of bioinformaticians to develop the next generation of MiST: an open-source project for elucidating and documenting signal transduction proteins in over 120,000 microbial genomes and their 500M proteins (https://mistdb.com, https://github.com/biowonks/projects).
- Created Releto: real-time, collaborative management tool for hospitality professionals (https://releto.com).
- Produced Zenphonik: online, music education tool with an emphasis on ear-training
Founder: Agile GenomicsCharleston, SC
2008 - 2015
- Raised $350,000 in seed capital (2 NIH SBIR grants and 2 matching grants from SCRA).
- Published 14 articles in high-impact, scientific journals; 6 manuscripts have been cited more than 100 times.
- Created AlignShop: highly-interactive tool for analyzing and visualizing critical patterns shared by biological sequences.
- Developed a tool that predicts thermodynamically stable primers for amplifying DNA.
- Built SeqDepot: sequence and feature database of over 30M proteins and 300M features (http://seqdepot.net).
- Managed business in its entirety: fund-raising, grant compliance, marketing, hiring, payrool, and annual reports.
Postdoctoral Fellow: University of Tennessee / Oak Ridge National LaboratoryKnoxville, TN
2006 - 2008
- Built MIST: a database of bacterial sensor proteins widely used by the scientific community,
- Collaborated with researchers worldwide to annotate signal transduction found in bacteria.
- Frameworks / tooling: Angular, React, Cordova, Redux, Observables (RxJS), Express, WebSockets, SASS
- Databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, SQLite
- Infrastructure: Docker, AWS, Heroku, CI/CD (CircleCI, Jenkins)
- Soft skills: innovation, critical thinking, collaboration, mentoring, excellent writing and communication, culture-building, interviewing
- Other: responsive design, expert analytical abilities, data science, visualization, agile methodology, graphic design
Ph. D. Bioinformatics Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA
- Major contributor to designing and writing successful $1M NIH R-01 grant proposal.
- TI:GER fellowship - an interdisciplinary program (PhD / JD / MBA) focused on technology commercialization
B. S. Biology Houghton College Houghton, NY
Enjoy spending time with my wife and 3 sons, DIY, woodworking,board games, ultimate frisbee, and slacklining.